Here are some highlights:
- A diverse group representing schools, parents, health care workers, policy makers, community activits, community based organizations and academia participated in the discussion
- Key themes that the group identified as important to consider when addressing the high teen birthrate:
- Comprehensive sex education in the schools is just one component - other sectors of the community need to be involved, as well.
- The issue should be framed to reflect a broader concept of teens' sexual health, incorporating healthy relationships and prevention.
- Build the capacity of parents to talk to teens about sexual health as well as provide information and opportunities for parents to become involved in advocating for the reproductive needs of youth
- Maximize the utilization of community organization programs that address adolescent sexual health
- The YEAH! Network will support the City Council Resolution recommendations, which Mayor Pluta may implement
- We will work to increase community awareness and support for the Resolution